Earthquake Survival Skills
WHAT TO DO
PREPARE YOURSELF AND YOUR FAMILY NOW
- Have an earthquake survival kit on hand.
- All family members should know how to turn
off gas, water, and electricity.
- Plan family emergency procedures, and make
plans for reuniting your family.
- Know emergency telephone numbers (doctor,
hospital, police, 911, etc)
- Anchor heavy objects to walls (bookcases,
wall units, mirrors, cabinets, etc.)
- Never place heavy objects over beds, and
keep heavy objects lower than head height of shortest member of family.
DURING AN EARTHQUAKE STAY CALM
- Inside, stand in doorway, or crouch under a
desk or table, well away from windows or glass dividers.
- Outside, stand away from buildings, trees,
telephones and electrical lines.
- On the road, drive away from underpasses and
overpasses; stop in safe area; stay in vehicle.
AFTER AN EARTHQUAKE
- Check for injuries-provide first aid.
- Check for safety-check for gas, water,
sewage breaks; check for downed power lines and shorts; turn off appropriate
- Check for building damage and potential
problems during aftershocks.
- Clean up dangerous spills.
- Wear shoes
- Turn on the radio and listen for
instructions from public safety agencies.
- Use telephone for emergencies, only.
Earthquake Survival Kits